Re: RE: Of interest to concerns of unleaded fuel usage

To: jim williams <sportsix63@yahoo.com>, MKatzHOPE@aol.com, dmitchel@ford.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RE: Of interest to concerns of unleaded fuel usage
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 10:25:12 -0500
At 06:55 AM 11/19/99 -0800, jim williams wrote:
>   I've talked to several machine shops about unleaded
>use. I have been told as the rpm approaches 3000 or if
>the engine is under heavy load there will be seat
>problems.                            ^^^^

I would suggest changing that to *may* be seat problems.

>In my opinion the reason a lot of the
>British car owners in American have not experienced
>major problems is because few of our cars are used in
>an every day high rpm commute. We, in many cases treat
>these cars as adult toys and use them in thay way.

That may be true now - but my experience with unleaded fuel
in a TR-3A contains about ten years of use when the TR-3A
was my only vehicle and for four of those years, I was
commuting from North Denver to Boulder, CO.  I can assure you
that I was seeing over 3,000 rpm at high load for extended
periods of time. <grin>  There are rumors that Amoco unleaded
was especially good for use in older cars (which was why I
used it), but my point is that there is plenty of (anecdotal)
evidence that unleaded fuel is not necessarily a problem
for our cars.

Cheers,

John Lye

'59 TR-3A, '62 TR-4, '70 GT-6+