Re: Of interest to concerns of unleaded fuel usage

To: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: Of interest to concerns of unleaded fuel usage
From: Don Kerr <dkveuro@pop.flash.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 10:02:47 -0600
Cc: jim williams <sportsix63@yahoo.com>, MKatzHOPE@aol.com, dmitchel@ford.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Hallo, here we go again.
 More speculative and IMO's .Once and for all, the unleaded question is
not a theory about probables.
 At any road speed, the eternal commotion engine must do specific thing
to remain running
 FACT #1. Intake / exhaust valves ALL rotate slowly (Yes, even if the
collets dont butt)at about 7 to 10
 rpm at moderate speeds 1500 to 4500rpm.
 FACT#2. As a valve is placed on its seat by the closing ramp of the
cam, it skids,abeit very little.This  keeps  the interface between face
and seat clean promoting heat transfere and sealing.
 FACT#3. Because many heads are Cast-Iron,there is no inherent strength
in the material to prevent valve  ressetion.I have seen many engines
that even with hydrolic lifters wont run due to the valve not fully
closing having taken up all the clearence. Upwards of 0.450
inch.pocketed into the head.(AT first glance
 it looked like the valve seat was missing.)
 FACT#4 ALL poppet style valve seats must have hard steel inserts to be
at all durable.
 FACT#5 The "lead" was a detonation supresant as well as a lubricant.
 FACT#6 DK is not allways right.