Re: Horsepower

To: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Horsepower
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 10:39:34 -0500 (EST)
Cc: TR List <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, David Massey wrote:

> Bob,

Hi Dave.

> One point not made yet during this incarnation of this thread is that the
> fan load is not constant over the speed range.  It isn't even proportional.
>  It is more exponential than anything.  And these HP savings are (probably)
> measured at peak RPM and the HP savings at the engine speeds most likely
> encountered in street driving will be significantly less.

I agree. But I tend to turn my motor a few more revs than folks that just
drive around town. So I can use the additional power. I'm going electric
on the "AP race car" and probably electric on my regular DSP TR6 (soon to
be ESP!). It's nice to know I have "all that power" available to me.

;-)

> So when someone says " I took my fan off and drove around the block and I
> didn't notice ANY difference!"   They are right.  But then so are you.  As
> for me, I think the electric fan is a far more elegant solution to the
> problem than the engine driven fan.

... hence why basically all cars use them now. Detroit, Stuttgart and
Honda/Toyota can't all be wrong.

> Dave Massey

regards,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |