RE: tr4 wire wheels

To: "'Billtr4@aol.com'" <Billtr4@aol.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: tr4 wire wheels
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 18:31:48 -0500 charset="windows-1252"
Bill-
        I installed a set of 4 dayton 60 spoke painted wheels this spring- (
TR3A)  Bought em from TRF,  along with a set of adapters and new knockoffs.
The two eared versions were used, I believe, until about 1967...(?)  If
moving back from disc wheels, you will also need to install shorter
wheelstuds (or cut yours down) and use the mini-lugnuts that TRF can supply.
I would recommend new wheel adaptors, unless yours are in really good shape.
Yeah, it gets pricey.  The wheel quality is really nice,  although I sorta
regret not buying the chromed ones.  they are nicely trued, and otherwise
correctly assembled.  The Dayton paint is almost grey, with a decent lustre.
If you do buy new Knockoffs, I'd recommend getting a real K/O hammer-  as
the K/O's are brass and easily deformed if you use anything that is at all
hard....
        TRF gave me a bit of a problem concerning the price of the wheels,
advising me to hurry up and buy 'em so I wouldn't miss out on the special
pricing-  Only to find out that the next pricelist had them for even less
than I paid.  I would make sure you press them for the best price-   and
hold them to it.  DOn't place the order unless they have at least 4 in
stock-  they order in batches, and if you come up with less than 4, you will
have to wait until they get some more Customer orders before Dayton gets
their order.
regards,
Bob Westerdale