RE: tr4 wire wheels

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: tr4 wire wheels
From: "Frank Crowe" <thecrowes@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 09:36:35 PST
Bill:

Replaced my very tired wire wheels about a year ago with Dayton Chrome WW.
Looks great, work great.  I replaced the hubs, knock-off (2-eared) and
wheels, because the hubs MUST match the wheels, and worn hubs will take out
new wheels. Don’t use the copper hammer for removal - they will the dent the
brass Kos.  I use either a lead hammer, or a block of wood against the ear.
There is a a wooden lever thing with a cut-out of the KO in the middle,
which should work rather well.  Check the archives around - there is lots of
info on Wws.

I also have heard that the Dunlop wheels are made in India, and are not very
good.  The Dayton wheels (from Dayton Ohio!) are HEAVY!  I was really
supprised.  Wws are a pain to clean, and if you drive them hard or hit chuck
holes they may have to be trued up someday, but they sure look cool!

Pictures sent separately.
    Frank