Re: tr4 wire wheels

To: Billtr4@aol.com
Subject: Re: tr4 wire wheels
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 00:37:52 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 01-Dec-99 17:50:37 Eastern Standard Time, Billtr4@aol.com
writes:

> Team,   I may have the opportunity to order new wires for my half finished
>  restoration.
>  (pending approval from my much better half.
>  60 spoke painted were on car originally according to build cert. Car is a
63.

>  Did it originally have 2 eared knockoffs or the safety octagon. Is British
>  Wire Wheels a decent place to go? What is the difference between Dayton
and
>  Dunlop? Are either or both made in USA or UK?  Don't know if I will see
this

>  dream come true, But any wisdom or comments will be greatly appreciated.
>    TIA   Billtr4 22592L

Bill,  2 eared knockoffs is what your car had originally.  Please go to
www.vtr.org and see my articles on wire wheels.  My suggestion is 60 spoke
Dayton wheels.  (The Dunlops are made in the far east and my research showed
that quality control was marginal.)  Daytons are made in the US.  Contact
Dayton on the web or by phone.  (They only sell to wholesalers.)

British Wire Wheels is a good outfit but I bought my Daytons from TRF during
one of their sales.  That was the best way to go at the time (1994).  I saved
several hundred dollars on 5 wheels.  Shop around and wait for the sales!
See Bob Westerdale's post for more info on that.  Also make sure that you get
new hub adaptors for the new wheels.

Any other questions please give me a shout.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant