RE: Auto trailer

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Auto trailer
From: "Roger Helman" <rogerh@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 08:27:25 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
        I tried to tow my TR-6 on a UHAUL trailer, pulled by an Automatic V-6
Ford
Explorer (~90,000 miles on the Ford) to Orem Utah the summer. It didn't work
to well. I blew a seal in the transmission and ruined the Torque converter.
It only cost 1300 to fix. I had the two rear Firestone tires pop a band that
was another ~200$. The Exploder was ok until we started to hit the hills and
mountains. It then started to over heat. The only good thing about the trip
was I took the 6 off the trailer and drove it! I ended up driving the TR
from Amarillo to Albuquerque, NM then to Orem Utah in one long day. I think
it was ~900 miles. The only problem the 6 gave me, was a shredded front
right tire 40 miles outside of Moab Utah going 65 mph. BTW It's a good idea
to check **ALL** of your tires before you leave. I guess it's **NOT** a good
idea to drive accross country on twelve year old tires. My spare only had
about 10 lbs or pressure. I can tell you it is not a good feeling when you
are 40 miles from no where in the Utah Desert in the Middle of June.

Roger Helman