Re: Auto trailer

Subject: Re: Auto trailer
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 20:39:58 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

McGaheyRx@aol.com wrote:

> Have you ever had to make a panic stop while towing a Triumph on
> your trailer ?

Hasn't happened while towing a Triumph (yet), but I have made panic
stops while towing a brakeless single axle trailer, and a load
equivalent to a TR3.  Most recently, I was towing a trailer load of
player piano and various other household goods, when someone came up an
uphill on-ramp on my right and pulled in front of me doing about 30,
when I was doing the legal limit of 65 (or maybe just a bit more).  Not
only did my rig pull down hard and straight, but I was seriously worried
that the semi behind me couldn't stop.  He locked up his trailer brakes

I also blew a trailer tire on that trip, but had no trouble at all
slowing down, pulling over (I actually pulled into the median, as the
shoulder was too narrow to be safe) and changing the tire.  (Since I was
suspicious of the dry rotted tires on the trailer, I was careful to take
along a spare and a jack.)

BTW, I'll bet my rig will stop as fast as yours, due to weighing 1000s
of pounds less, a lower CG, and performance car tires instead of truck
tires.

Randall