Re: Auto trailer

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Auto trailer
From: Bob Hill <oldcars@newt.vallnet.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 11:13:57 -0600 (EST)
Cc: Jim Barbuscia <Jim.Barbuscia@west.sun.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Well you are right for as I said, I would never tow a single axle trailer
so my tandem axle trailer weighs aroudn a 1000 pounds empty and when you
add a car you are above 3000 and close to 3500 depending on the vehicle.

True that adding 2000 lbs is not a significant addition UNTIL you find
yourself in a panic situation,t hen 200 pounds can be significant!!  Can
you do it safely without brakes and with care? Sure but the point I was
trying to make is that we never know when, regardless of how careful WE
are  that the opther guy has a "stupid" moment and we find ourselves
trying to manuever our vehicle as well as the trailer behind it.

Another one of my favorite pastimes is to ride my motorcycle.  One of the
things I learned early on is to expect the other guy to make a move that
could endanger me and be prepared to take action.  That philosophy has
carried over to driving any vehicle now and when I tow I anticipate what
the otehr driver may do and prepare myself for that.  That means I prepare
mentally as well as prepare my equipment to handle the situation.

Bob

75 Triumph TR-6
74 MGB GT
77 MG Midget