RE: Auto trailer

To: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: Auto trailer
From: Bob Hill <oldcars@newt.vallnet.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 11:19:37 -0600 (EST)
Cc: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
I am not trying to start an argument by any means but towing a trilaer of
3000 lbs without brakes puts you in a very vulnerable position shoudl you
have to panic stop.  I had a lady pull out in front of me one day and had
I not had the trailer brakes to helpo me stop, I would have plowed all
over her.  In fact the trailer brakes did more stopping of the vehicles
than the truck brakes at the time.  I loked them so hard that the traielr
started sliding sideways but was able to recover without harm.  Had I not
had the trailer brakes, I woudl have hit her which woudl have caused the
trailer to plow into me from behind and who knows what disaster woudl have
occured.  Trailer brakes can be added for aroudn $150 per axle and a
controller for less than a hundred.  As much as we guys spend on the old
cars, $250 is cheap insurance in my opinion.  Also, many states require
brakes on trailers if they are hauling a vehicle on them (TN does I know).

Bob

75 Triumph TR-6
74 MGB GT
77 MG Midget