Re: Auto trailer

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Auto trailer
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 16:28:27 -0500
Randall Young wrote:

> Brian Schlorff wrote :
> ><snip>
> >  But I'm always
> > amazed at how downright
> > inconsiderate other motorists are when you're out with a
> > trailer.  Maybe this is a
> > phenomenon only here in the overpopulated northeast,
>
> Same thing certainly happens around LA, Houston, St. Louis, Chicago, Boston
> and every other big US city I've been to.  I see people doing the same thing
> to everything from other cars to loaded semis (tractor-trailers).  I've had
> people cut me off so short that the truck behind me couldn't stop.  I'm not
> sure whether its ignorance or arrogance, but I'm inclined towards the
> latter.
>
> I still see nothing wrong with towing a light trailer (under 3000 pounds)
> without brakes, and given the choice of a single axle or dual axle trailer
> (both loaded within their weight ratings), I'd pick the single axle every
> time.  They're much easier to maneuver, especially backing up.
>
> Randall

There are certainly enough people who've had success towing lighter weight
trailers
that I'm sure it can be done successfully and safely.  I'm just not one of those
people who would feel comfortable doing so.  The electric brakes on our trailer
(3600
lbs. EMPTY) have a normal automatic mode as well as a manual mode that can stop
our
whole rig very nicely without even having to use the truck brakes should the
truck
experience brake failure for whatever reason.  Personally, I just like that
margin of
safety, especially on the newer trucks where downshifting the auto tranny
doesn't seem
to have as much of an engine braking effect as it did on older trucks from the
70's/80's.  I even prefer tow dollies to have surge brakes at least.  Maybe I'm
just
paranoid.

Cheers!

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars