Re: Auto trailer

To: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Subject: Re: Auto trailer
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 20:56:54 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

McGaheyRx@aol.com wrote:

> Have you ever had to make a panic stop while towing a Triumph on
> your trailer ?   I have. It was on a multi-lane highway in downtown
> Atlanta.  I had to really stand on the brakes to keep from hitting the idiot
> that suddenly decided he needed to be in front of me. There was traffic
> on both sides of me and this was in the apex of a slight bend in the road.
> My trailer is a tandem axle with electric brakes on all 4 wheels so i stopped
> safely.

I have had to stop rather quickly a time or two but what I would
consider a panic stop.  I always try to allow at least 3 or 4 times the
normal distance between me and cars in front just to be on the safe
side.
I did blow out a trailer tire while coming south to the desert last
Spring.  THe trailer is built so low that with a flat tire the bottom of
the center Spring shackle on the axle will drag the pavement.  You can't
ask for better brakes than that!  :)

I used my Blazer jack and spare (chevy bolt pattern!!!) and was on the
road to the next town in 15 minutes to buy a new tire.  No harm, no
foul!

> Would i have been able to do this with a single axle trailer with no brakes ?
> I don't ever want to try it.

Nor Do I!

> Be safe

As always!