Re: Dynamic Balance

Subject: Re: Dynamic Balance
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 12:22:40 -0700
Scott :

Early in my Triumph adventures, I ruined a fan, and solved the problem
by just removing the fan and driving without it.  Worked OK, as long as
I wasn't in stop and go traffic (which was rare where I lived), and shut
the engine off at long red lights.

When I installed the Hayden fan on my current car (as a puller), I
removed the stock fan and hub extension.  I still have the original hub
(the rear half) with the original pulley still bolted to it.  I
originally ground part of the head off of some new bolts, so they would
fit inside the hub flange, but later ground the flange off so I could
use nuts on the front.  Since I've had some trouble keeping the hub
tight on the end of the crank (probably due to wear in both places on
the current engine), I made a clamp piece (from a cast iron pipe cap) to
go under the head of the new crank bolt, and clamp the hub firmly
against the timing drive gear.  However, the previous engine (still
waiting for a rebuild) did fine with just a heavy flat washer under the
bolt head.

I can't comment on how important the balance pieces are, I've never
tried running a fan without them.  I've seen the tool used to balance
the fan, and was under the impression that it was a common item in
bicycle shops, perhaps as part of a wheel truing stand.  Anything that
will mount the fan so it's centered on a shaft, and free to turn, should
do.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver