Re: Dynamic Balance

Subject: Re: Dynamic Balance
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 01:15:13 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Bill :

Well, I've been running without the fan and hub extension for over 10
years, no broken cranks yet !  IMO, while there is some truth in Bill's
warning, it's primarily for race engines that see a lot of time above
4500 rpm.

I know there are harmonic balancers available that will fit, but AFAIK
they all use modern 3/8" belts.  BFE sells a kit that includes the
balancer, water pump and generator pulleys, but it's pretty pricey (ISTR
around $400).

One of my background projects is a junkyard conversion to a harmonic
balancer and 3/8" belt.  If I come up with something that suits me, I'll
post it to the list.  So far, I've got the balancer from a MGB and the
water pump pulley from a TR250/early TR6.  However, the MGB balancer is
going to require a spacer behind it, and a much different front seal, so
I'm still looking for a better candidate.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver