Re: Bolt on Fuel Injection speaker in S. CA

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bolt on Fuel Injection speaker in S. CA
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:58:16 -0700
Wendy :

I was at the meeting, what would you like to know ?  Hopefully Brian
(who just got back from Triumphest) will be putting something on the
club's website soon.

Basically, the system that was shown consists of two throttle bodies
with injectors that have the same bolt pattern as ZS and SU (H6 and
larger) carbs.  They bolt right on in place of the carbs, and use the
original air cleaners.  He wasn't sure about throttle linkage, so that
may take some creativity.

The complete kit including a custom wiring harness, control box, MAP
sensor, PC software, two throttle bodies, injectors, fuel pump and
regulator, lists for $2000.  Sorry, I've forgotten if it included an O2
sensor and coolant temp sensor or not (but they aren't very expensive).
He offered it to SCTOA members for $1500 (and membership is only $30
<shameless plug>).

The control algorithm is the basic "speed-density" system, and is
customizable using a PC serial port.  It's basically all table-driven,
where you adjust the amount of fuel for a given set of conditions.  The
fundamental measurements are manifold pressure (the MAP sensor) and
engine rpm.  From there, the mixture can be 'tweaked' for a variety of
inputs, including O2 and coolant temp.  The box just sees these as
analog voltages, so you can hook up almost anything.

The system has not yet received a CARB exemption, so cannot be used on
cars made in 1974 or later in California.  I'm not sure what the
legalities are in other states (and suspect that the system is
technically illegal on cars made since 68) so YMMV.

Properly tuned, it should offer better performance, and better gas
mileage, with lower emissions.  Other than the cost, it seems like an
ideal solution.

Randall