Re: Bolt on Fuel Injection speaker in S. CA

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bolt on Fuel Injection speaker in S. CA
From: "J.H. Roulleaux" <Jean.Rouleaux@skynet.be>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 22:33:05 +0200
Date sent:              Tue, 24 Oct 2000 14:58:45 -0700
To:                     triumphs@autox.team.net
From:                   Cregg Cowan <cowan@erg.sri.com>
Copies to:              randallyoung@earthlink.net, cowan@erg.sri.com
Send reply to:          Cregg Cowan <cowan@erg.sri.com>

Hi Randall,

Was there any mention about how much performance would be increased over
the US Spec?
If I'm spending $2k (or even $1500), I'd like to get the ~150 Hp of
"worldly" TR6's.

In looking at http://www.electromotive-inc.com/injection.htm and
http://twminduction.com/EFI/EFI-FR.html,
I began to wonder about more than two throttle bodies.  I had heard that
one of the things that
makes triple webbers attractive is that there is a venturi for each
cylinder --- no two
cylinders have to fight each other for a full charge.  OTOH, my
simple-minded analysis
of the stock manifold indicates that among cylinders 123 and 456 there is
no overlap of their
intake strokes.  So maybe two throttle bodies are plenty.  Was there any
discussion of
this or similar topics?

TIA,
Cregg Cowan
71 TR6

Hello Greg,
I drive since 2 years a Electronic fuel injected TR6 and I must say
the biggest problem of the whole system is a proper calibration. I
spent in July 4 hours on a rolling road in U.K. at Sigma Engineering
to get the engine setup. The old long stroke engines are very
difficult to calibrate with the electronic ignition/injection, and at the
moment there is no calibration map available on the market,and
anyhow  this will never be possible, because every engine is
different. On todays cars the calibration software is a well kept
secret and is only valid for one type of engine and for standard use.
Engine flexibility,fuel economy,longevity,environmental requirements
all have to be considered when setting up the software.
I can only warn everybody who is planning to install an electronic
injection to make sure the seller is including in the package a
proper setup on a rolling road. I was charged around 600$ US only
for the 4 hours lasting session.
As Randall said, there will be no large HP gain from the electronic
injection/ignition. Compared to the previous Lucas injection I have a
greater engine flexibility and better torque through the whole RPM
range,and almost no pinking with low grade fuel.This was a major
problem with the Lucas injection  and high compression engine in
warm weather. The engine being a standard 150 HP with sport
exhaust showed now 135 HP on the rear wheels, but I opted for a
mild calibration setup with reasonable fuel economy.You know we
pay four times the U.S. fuel price. The car and engine can be found
on the Carpictures website if you want to see how it looks like.
Look for a 1970 jasmine TR6.
Should you have more questions let me know.
Jean R  from Belgium.
 60 TR3A
 70 TR6 PI