Re: TR7 "design"

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR7 "design"
From: Will <tr6@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:10:18 +0100

>The only real quibbles I have with the droptop TR7/8 is the top itself and
>the lack of an area behind the seats for incidentals. There is no excuse for
>the pathetic design of that top. They could have easily used the Stag's top
>design as the basis for the TR7's unit. Whoever agreed to that idiotic
>design should be forced to try to do up the snaps on a cold sunny winter day
>until they can get them all to stay on. Then they can try to get the front
>of the top locked in.
>
>PS - if you've ever had the door apart on a TR7 you'll notice a nice pair of
>side impact beams running the length of them..........
>
>francis dupuis
>vancouver, bc

When I owned a 7 in the early 80's it struck me that Leyland missed
an opportunity with the hard top: The rear 3/4 panel would have made
a wonderful base for a surrey/targa top...

As far as the design goes... back then I remember reading that an
Italian designer's reaction upon seeing the 7 on show for the first
time was something like "...oh my God, don't tell me they did that to
the other side too..." Now I have no idea where I read it, or who the
designer was. Anyone know the answer? Could it have been Michelotti???
--
William Davies
1975 TR6 PI