Re: TR7 "design"

To: spitlist@gte.net, SpeedSites@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR7 "design"
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 12:54:24 EDT
Cc: greenman62@hotmail.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
FWIW, I'm sorry I ever picked up on this thread! :-)

In a message dated 10/26/2000 12:22:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
spitlist@gte.net writes:

> Let's clarify this particular notion.  The similarities between the SAAB
> engine and the Triumph equivalent are not by chance.  But SAAB
>  bought the Triumph design, not vice-versa.  So in reality, it is the SAAB
> that has the Triumph engine.

Yeah, kinda sorta. The engine originated with Triumph and, for a while, was
built by Triumph for Saab in the early 99s. Later Saab versions evolved
somewhat differently, though, and were built by Saab. One story has it that
Triumph's build quality was not up to what Saab desired.

In other words, the later Saab slant-four engines are to the Triumph-designed
originals much as the Rover/Morgan/MG/TR, etc. aluminum V8 is to the original
General Motors Buick-Olds-Pontiac V8s.

And I'll try not to say any more about any of this. ;-)

--Andy