Re: Shoulder belts in a TR3?

To: datesmanaric@netscape.net, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shoulder belts in a TR3?
From: Dennis & Bridget Lambert <blambert@socal.rr.com> (Unverified)
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 10:45:12 -0800
Aric,

I had the same concerns about the grab bar vs. passengers head, as well as the
steering wheel vs. my head, so I opted for 3-point belts.   I am about 6 feet
tall, and attaching the shoulder belt to the wheel arch would put the
attachment point lower than the 3" deflection up or down from shoulder height
recommended by the seat belt folks, so I opted to use my roll bar as the
shoulder belt attachment point.  I purchased my belts from Andover restraints.
Lots of styles and colors to chose from.

http://www.andoauto.com/seat_belts.htm

The belts are standard 3-point belts, non-retractable, with vintage style
buckle lift lids (as opposed to the push button style).  They bolt in rather
than using eye hooks, but I figured I won't be removing them very often, if
ever.  I'm tempted to replace my current belts by figuring out some way to
mount and use the new retractable 3-point belts Moss now sells - having
retractable belts would be a big plus.  The problem there is that they only
come  in a few colors, and I wanted tan (which they don't carry).  When
I spoke to Moss the other day, I couldn't get their sales guy to check with
their supplier to see if I could special order tan.  Maybe someday....

 As to the roll bar, it's not a racing roll bar, but it is attached to the
frame (actually the outrigger / floor pan bolts) at the bottom, and to the
wheel arches (with sandwich plates) at the top.  I'm not sure to what extent I
would be protected in a crash, but it does give me some sense of security.  The
cost was in line with the ones Moss and Roadster sell.

NFI in Andover restraints, just a customer.

Dennis,
TS77028L (no working trans at the moment, I'm about to give up for a while)