Re: Shoulder belts in a TR3?

To: "Bill & Skip Pugh" <anabil@caltel.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shoulder belts in a TR3?
From: "Adrian Dix-Dyer" <dixie4@wales.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 20:33:14 -0000
I think that UK suppliers are the best for three point belts.
Lap only belts were never fitted the front of UK spec cars only three point.

My repatriated Tennessee TR4A had no factory fitted top mounts although
there is a slight change of shape on the rear wheel arch to indicate where
they should be.

The fitment was easy enough, a steel plate was supplied which measured 2" x
1" x 3/16" centre located was a threaded hole to take the standard fine
threaded seat belt bolt.
To one end of the plate was a 3/16th hole, this was for a self tapping screw
to hold the plate in place. I simply drilled a clearance hole for the bolt
and mounted the plate on the underside of the wheel arch. I neglected to fit
the self tapping screw as I did not want the thread protruding through into
the interior.

The belts I used were a seconhand pair of retractables from the rear of a
Skoda Favorite. The reason for the choice of rears was mainly that a only
short distance exists between the top mount and the lower mount and these
fitted just right. The other reason was that rears are less frequently used
therefore are generally in top condition.
The main retractor unit was mounted at the base of the inner wheelarch using
another steel plate as previously described. The original B post mounting
was not used.

I did find some good info in the archives re TR6 seat belt mounting which
helped.

I can find more seat belts. If any listers are interested please email of
list.

Regards
Adrian
TR4A CT64306 O