Re: One way trips to Colorado

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: One way trips to Colorado
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:23:42 -0700
Scott Tilton wrote:

> I was wondering if any one had considered driving out to VTR 2001 in Colorado,
> and then flying back home while their car is hauled back by ground transport?

> ...If you consider hotel stays and meals and everything else, it might even be
> more economical.

Scott, the most economical plan would be to abandon your car in front of my
house after VTR 2001 and fly back from Denver International Airport. I'll even
drop you off at the airport, in your car or my TR4 if you like.

This will not only reduce the risk of breakdowns on your return, but will
eliminate the risk of breakdowns once you're home -- since you won't have
that troublesome car any more. I will diligently drive your car -- alternating
with all the other Triumphs abandoned in Colorado -- so that it will be
ready for your use whenever you visit Denver again. </joke>

Seriously though, I've considered a similar strategy for Triumph trips
with my wife, but have settled on this sample plan instead:

Vacation 2002: Napa wine tour, drive up the coast to San Juan islands

1) I drive the car to California, allow an extra day or two
    a) I fix the car if there are problems
    b) if there aren't problems, I enjoy an extra day in California
2) I pick Pam up at the airport, saving her wear and tear
3) we drive to the nearest vineyard....
4) I drop her off at the airport, and drive hard back to Denver.

In the end, I'm lucky to have plenty of vacation, and the cost and worse
the risk of shipping the car would pay for most of the hotel stops.

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO