Re: TR4 closed circuit breather

To: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>, "TR" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 closed circuit breather
From: "Don Marshall" <marshall@nefcom.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 21:08:46 -0500
Hi Bob:  I just went through this exercise, also with the engine in the car.
There's probably a better way, but here's what I did and it wasn't so
difficult once I figured it out.

1: I drilled a hole in the plug, about 5/16" as I recall, keeping as close
to the center as possible but it doesn't have to be exact.  My car happens
to have a 1" round hole in the inner fender that allowed reasonable access
to the plug with a long drill bit, or in my case a short bit in a long
extension that can be found at hardware stores or Home Depot, etc.  If you
don't already have such a hole and don't want to drill one in your tub,
you'll need an angle drive for your drill.

2: I then drove the plug a little farther into the hole to break it loose.
Again, by using the aforementioned hole in the inner fender, I was able to
work from the outside of the engine compartment and used a long drift to
hammer the plug in about 1/4" or so.

3: Sprayed the plug with PB Blaster and let it soak awhile

4: I got a large lag bolt (similar to a huge sheet metal screw), I used a
1/2" x 3", and got it started in the hole I had drilled in the plug.  Then I
removed the lag bolt and put it through the center of a 1 1/8"  half inch
drive socket, backed by a washer, with the open end of the socket toward the
engine.  I screwed the lag bolt back into the plug (through the socket)
until it was tight, making sure the socket stayed centered around the plug
hole.  After it was tight and with the socket centered over the hole, I
continued to turn the lag bolt SLOWLY AND GENTLY.  Since the bolt couldn't
screw any farther in because of the socket, the plug was pulled out of the
hole and into the well of the socket.  I found this step was easier working
from under the car.

5: Then I cleaned the hole and poured some oil through it to wash any drill
fragments into the pan, where hopefully they'll settle to the bottom and be
cleaned out by the oil change I'm going to do Saturday.

6: Caveats - this worked well for me, your mileage may vary, etc., etc.  I
was very careful screwing the lag bolt in to avoid stripping out the hole in
the plug and it came out fairly easily.  If this doesn't work on your plug,
I don't know any other way except to pull the engine.   The little "access"
hole in the inner fender really made it easier.  I don't know why this car
has one, the other TR4 and the TR3 don't, but given a choice between pulling
the engine and drilling and then plugging a 1" hole I'd drill the hole in a
heartbeat.

Good luck, and if  the description isn't clear enough let me know and I'll
send you a picture of the lag bolt/socket/plug rig.   Don