Re: TR4 closed circuit breather

To: ryoung@navcomtech.com
Subject: Re: TR4 closed circuit breather
From: "Michael Gajic" <michaelgajic@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 01:52:54 +1100 FILETIME=[CDE2A2E0:01C1A4E6]
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Randall wrote:

>Michael, I am almost certain this means your car did not come with the
>'Y' tube, unless there was a goof at the factory (which did happen from
>time to time).  The function of the Y tube would be more or less negated
>by having the breather tube, they should not both be installed.

I agree totally, but what was put in the place of the breather tube on the
later, non-breather tube cars? Was there some kind of a blank there? If so I
think the breather tube on my car is definately original.

There is a slight possibility that my rocker cover is non-original as I can
confirm that the current rocker cover has been on the car since at least
1968, that leaves a gap of some 5 years, but I can't see why someone would
have substituted a open system for a closed system...

Any ideas about the reference in Piggot's book at p75 that reads "With the
introduction of the first closed-circuit breather system at engine number CT
14233E, drum type paper element air cleaners were fitted, connected by a
Y-shaped tube to an outlet pipe on a redesigned rocker cover"?

Based on that the Y tube on my car is correct, although I have the wire mesh
filters. But I think that Piggot may be wrong here as CT14233E pre-dates
Strombergs and I doubt that the closed system ever existed on SU fitted
TR4s.

Also, I would happily revert back to the open system, how could I do this
without changing the rocker cover? Could I simply plug the hole on the side
that connects to the Y tube and use the later 'metered valve' eared type oil
filler cap?

Cheers,
Michael
63' TR4 CT23641 O