RE: TR4 closed circuit breather

Subject: RE: TR4 closed circuit breather
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 08:46:20 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> I agree totally, but what was put in the place of the breather
> tube on the
> later, non-breather tube cars? Was there some kind of a blank
> there? If so I
> think the breather tube on my car is definately original.

On the ones I've seen, the hole in the block was still drilled, but had a
cupped plug installed, somewhat like the core plugs used on the 6-cyl TRs.

> There is a slight possibility that my rocker cover is
> non-original as I can
> confirm that the current rocker cover has been on the car since at least
> 1968, that leaves a gap of some 5 years, but I can't see why
> someone would
> have substituted a open system for a closed system...

There were a fair number of TR3B and early TR4 that were delivered with a
plug in the top center of the rocker cover.  Wouldn't surprise me if at
least some cars had the welded tube in the side of the cover, just capped
off.

> Any ideas about the reference in Piggot's book at p75 that reads
> "With the
> introduction of the first closed-circuit breather system at
> engine number CT
> 14233E, drum type paper element air cleaners were fitted, connected by a
> Y-shaped tube to an outlet pipe on a redesigned rocker cover"?

As I think we've already discussed, cars in different markets were equipped
differently.  My _guess_ would be that Bill meant that _some_ cars were so
equipped, not all of them.  I've wondered if perhaps Triumph was preparing
for US regulations that wound up being delayed by several years (due to the
American makers screaming that they could not implement the changes quick
enough).  Or, it could be that they did build some California-only cars,
since I believe CA required closed circuit breathing before the feds did.

> Based on that the Y tube on my car is correct, although I have
> the wire mesh
> filters. But I think that Piggot may be wrong here as CT14233E pre-dates
> Strombergs and I doubt that the closed system ever existed on SU fitted
> TR4s.

I can't really comment, except to say that the paper element filters with
the fitting for the Y tube fit just fine on SU H6.  And of course the later
TR4A (at least US-spec) had SU HS6 carbs with a closed system (not the
Y-tube type).

> Also, I would happily revert back to the open system, how could I do this
> without changing the rocker cover? Could I simply plug the hole
> on the side
> that connects to the Y tube and use the later 'metered valve'
> eared type oil
> filler cap?

Plugging the hole is fine, but I would look for the earlier 'open' type oil
filler cap.  The valve would impede air flow through the crankcase.  But
even retaining your current cap would be no worse than the early closed
designs.

Randall