Re: 'Speckled' at The Cat and Custard Pot

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 'Speckled' at The Cat and Custard Pot
From: Nicholas Froome <listreader@pvision.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 18:43:49 +0000
Javier

>After reading Jonmac's last listing I am ready to
>migrate to jolly old England...and I will one day.

I can vouch for the Cat and Custard Pot - good pub

Another of my favourites with a strange name is the Smoking Dog in Malmesbury.
I drove there one very cold Sunday morning from Box in Wiltshire before I was
really equipped to drive the thing in winter. My knuckles were white and the
girlfriend was not at all amused that I wanted the roof down! I was so cold
that I drove faster & faster to get there quicker and my hands were like claws
when I got to the pub

Box is home to the grand Victorian train tunnel archway used in The Railway
Children and to Peter Gabriel's amazing recording studio. It's near the end of
the fabulous A4 which crosses Wiltshire towards Bath. You pass a White Horse as
you approach Box and it's hard to resist the urge to stop and walk up the hill
to look at it. Most of the traffic takes the M4, so you're on the ghostly A4
with pre-history all around you, passing mounds, white horses and
spooky-looking copses of trees off in the distance. There's nowhere quite like
it!

But the best of all - and it's not a pub - is the Mason Arms near Oxford. The
best food I've ever eaten and (allegedly)the biggest selection of cigars
outside London...

Nick Froome
http://www.bolide.co.uk