RE: 'Speckled' at The Cat and Custard Pot

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: 'Speckled' at The Cat and Custard Pot
From: Will <tr6@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 22:40:40 +0000
>>Is a "Fulham Farmer" a Gentleman Farmer as they say in
>>the colonies?
>
>No, a Gentleman Farmer has no livestock, just crops, whereas a
>Fulham Farmer has stocks _and_ bonds... He uses his Land-Rover to
>negotiate the steep kerbs outside Harrods, and his wife finds it
>essential to survive the urban hurly-burly of Fulham, Kensington or
>Chelsea as she drives the children 200 yards to school every day

I think this phrase appeared in the 80's, and whilst I'd be the last
person to jump to the defence of the 'town off-roaders' I have to say
that they might be right after all. Speed bumps have now spread from
the so-called 'rat runs' to major rush hour routes in my part of
London, making my progress in a TR slower than a Transit Van :-(

Can anyone explain to me how a city that needs Congestion Charging
also needs so many speed bumps?? I guess if the charging does reduce
congestion, we can all drive faster than a horse and cart, and the
money raised will be used to pay for more bumps.....

--
William Davies
1975 TR6 PI