RE: Battery placement (very little if any LBC content)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Battery placement (very little if any LBC content)
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 07:53:53 -0800
> I am running out of space to put the battery in my 40 Ford truck, and am
> considering under the passenger seat. There is ample room to do this under
> the platform and is about the only place left as hard as that is to
> believe, but if you have ever seen a forty Ford truck you know what I am
> talking about.  This would allow a nice installation albeit a slight
> inconvenience in service and replacement (but how often do you do that
> anyway) I seem to remember the MGB having the batteries mounted in pockets
> in the rear parcel area (the obligatory LBC content) but my
> concern is with
> the out gassing and fumes that batteries produce during running and
> charging.  The truck is a closed cab vs. the MGB being an open
> car (without
> its top of course, although the BGT is closed)
> The box I would make would have vents, possibly one running under
> the truck
> similar to a draft tube (if you remember those) to draw fumes out
> and under
> the cab.  Anybody see any problems/pitfalls with this idea?

Why not use an Optima, or similar battery ?  There are also ordinary
lead-acid batteries available that are designed for this sort of
application, they have vent tubes that can be routed outside the body work.

Anyway, as long as your box is sealed to the inside of the cab, and
something that won't be harmed by acid, your idea should work.  I would
think you'll have trouble with increased corrosion of the battery cables,
but perhaps not too much.

BTW, the batteries in the MGA were located effectively outside the passenger
compartment, in racks that hung under the car.  There was a body panel that
you removed in order to access them.  I believe the MGB was similar.
However, my 1970 Audi 100LS sedan was designed with the battery under the
back seat, inside the passenger compartment, and one of those specialty
batteries I mentioned.  Miatas have the battery in the trunk, with a vent
tube.

Randall