Battery placement (very little if any LBC content)

To: "bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net" <bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net>
Subject: Battery placement (very little if any LBC content)
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:45:27 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <spitfires@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id gAEGnXpF019591
Message text written by "bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net"
>I am running out of space to put the battery in my 40 Ford truck, and am
considering under the passenger seat. There is ample room to do this under
the platform and is about the only place left as hard as that is to
believe, but if you have ever seen a forty Ford truck you know what I am
talking about.  This would allow a nice installation albeit a slight
inconvenience in service and replacement (but how often do you do that
anyway) I seem to remember the MGB having the batteries mounted in pockets
in the rear parcel area (the obligatory LBC content) but my concern is with
the out gassing and fumes that batteries produce during running and
charging.  The truck is a closed cab vs. the MGB being an open car (without
its top of course, although the BGT is closed)
The box I would make would have vents, possibly one running under the truck
similar to a draft tube (if you remember those) to draw fumes out and under
the cab.  Anybody see any problems/pitfalls with this idea?
<

Barry, I would opt for the Optima battery which is sealed to get around
this problem.  Also, put it in a battery box.  You can get them in the
sporting depatments at any Wal Mart.  They are intended for trolling motor
batteries but should work fine for you.  The polyethelene box and cover
will protect the battery terminals from wayward  seat springs and such.

Dave