Re: Spec thanks, best Wkshp Manual?

To: "Triumph Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spec thanks, best Wkshp Manual?
From: "Brad Eells" <bradlnss@lightspeed.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 20:53:12 -0800
One more perspective - or $.02 worth...

I own a copy of virtually every repair manual ever made for the TR4 - 4A. I
have used the Bentley and Haynes manuals nearly without exception. My
factory manual stays on the shelf, a protected treasure.

I've found the Bentley/Factory Manual to be the most detailed with
procedures but they also assume you have a garage full of Churchill factory
tools. The Haynes manual assumes you are a home mechanic who may consuming a
bit of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale whilst attempting a repair with a homemade
spring compressor. The Haynes even includes a handy English - American
thesaurus...what is a 'Dynamo' anyway???

The combination of the two manuals usually reveals a solution to the
question. The best example I can remember is when I was having trouble with
the Lucas voltage regulator. The Haynes did not provide detail on setting up
the voltage regulator and did not resolve the problem. I consulted the
Bentley and used the factory procedure for adjusting the points sets in the
regulator...problem resolved.

I recently replaced my original Bentley manual that had dissolved in grease,
solvent and mildew with an Ebay purchased copy, under 20 bucks!

Much like a Black & Tan, the Bentley and Haynes are best when used in
combination!

Brad
65 TR4A
62 TR4