TR3A Runs great til it gets warmed up!

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3A Runs great til it gets warmed up!
From: "Patrick Cantwell" <cantwell@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 14:03:32 -0600 out002.verizon.net from [4.60.243.233] at Sat, 30 Nov 2002 14:04:49 -0600
I just bought a 1958 TR3A and it ran fair until it got warmed up and then had
incredible power loss--in fact we couldn't get it to run for more that 30-60
seconds and that was when really feathering the gas.  I put in a new ignition
coil & fuel pump and changed the plugs.  Now it runs even better, great in
fact, until it reaches just under 185 degrees on the gauge and it has the same
power loss--ie. step on the gas in 2nd or 3rd & it's just like there's no fuel
or spark--at lower RPM's ( & in 1st) it runs rough but it runs.  I checked the
compression when it was at the temperature of the problem & I'm getting 150 in
each cylinder.  I get 50 for oil pressure when it first starts & then it falls
off to a 40 at 2,000 rpm when it's warmed up.  The plugs for the back two
cylinders are great but the front two are carboned up---I assume because I was
still pushing the gas pedal and it wasn't firing cleanly.  Again, when I let
it cool, it starts & runs great.  Any ideas?

Patrick in Dallas