Re: TR3A Runs great til it gets warmed up!

To: "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>, "Robert Labuz" <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: TR3A Runs great til it gets warmed up!
From: "levilevi" <levilevi@attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 19:59:55 -0700
Cc: "Patrick Cantwell" <cantwell@gte.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Bob Lubuz wrote:

Go straight to the > ignition/electrical. Start with the coil, connections,
and never forget
> the dist cap.

I agree with FT that you should always suspect ignition problems first.  But
if one thinks about all the information Patrick provided together (carbon on
the #1 and #2  plugs, runs good when cold but not when warm, stepping on the
gas gives power loss) my first place to look would be the component that you
KNOW affects the #1 and #2 plugs, which is the front carb (and that includes
the choke for that carb that Bob K suggested).

If you insist on looking at the ignition first then I think I'd pay a little
more attention to the carboned spark plugs symptom and check the plugs (he
did replace those) and plug wires first to see if they are working, and then
MAYBE the distributor cap.  The components that affect all the plugs such as
the coil, condenser, distributor wire, timing, etc. aren't usually going to
just pick on just the #1 and #2 plugs.  But something apparently is.

However,  it's much simpler to test to see if the carbs are dry on the
bottom (all it takes is putting your fingers under the carb) than it is to
test or replace ANY ignition part.  If they're wet then I'd check a few more
things (e.g. the carb throat) but if dry then you could more than likely
eliminate flooding.   I'd go straight to the easiest thing to check but
that's just my way of doing things cause I'm lazy.

We don't know the car's history (daily driver or stored for 10 years or ???)
but since it was a "new to him" car the car very well could have been
sitting around with old or contaminated gas or a rusting gas tank.

I'm truly impressed that Bob has never had a fuel delivery or carburetor
problem in 35 years of owning a Triumph....you must be living right.

Bud Rolofson
71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
66TR4A CTC57806 (The Wreck-Almost Parts)
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)