Re: TR3A Runs great til it gets warmed up!

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Patrick Cantwell" <cantwell@gte.net>
Subject: Re: TR3A Runs great til it gets warmed up!
From: "levilevi" <levilevi@attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 13:48:06 -0700
Sounds like your front carb is flooding.  Take the air cleaner (s) off and
feel below the carb to see if it's wet and/or if it's wet where the air
enters the carb if so then it's definitely flooding.  Usually it's the
needle valve for the float chamber that gets clogged...and it's usually the
front carb that gets the gunk first.   I don't know what carbs you have but
with Strombergs you can remove the bottom of the float chamber and clean it
out.  Gently work the needle valve up and down to clear it out and if you
have a bottle of air (e.g. for cleaning computers) you can blow some air on
it.   Be careful of the float and the gasket when you put it all back
together.  Clamp the gas line (the rubber portion) to keep gas from running
all over the engine bay.   You may want to unclamp it so the gas helps to
clear the needle valve when you're working on it.

Oh and the reason it runs good when cold is that its using that extra gas as
if it's being choked...I'd bet you don't have to use the choke much when you
first start it.  Once the engine is warm though it becomes a too rich
mixture situation (and hence the black plugs) and won't run for beans.

Bud Rolofson
71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
66TR4A CTC57806 (The Wreck-Almost Parts)
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)