Re: TR3A Runs great til it gets warmed up!

To: Fred Thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: TR3A Runs great til it gets warmed up!
From: Robert Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 17:55:23 -0500
Cc: Kinderlehrer <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>, levilevi <levilevi@attbi.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net, Patrick Cantwell <cantwell@gte.net>
Fred Thomas wrote:

>>>Oh and the reason it runs good when cold is that its using that extra
>>>
>gas
>
>>as
>>
>>>if it's being choked...I'd bet you don't have to use the choke much when
>>>
>>you
>>
>>>first start it.  Once the engine is warm though it becomes a too rich
>>>mixture situation (and hence the black plugs) and won't run for beans.

>>Or maybe it's just that the choke isn't working well on the front carb and
>>pushing in the knob in the cockpit isn't actually causing the lever to
>>
>push
>
>>the jet up.

>1- Timing
>2- bad condenser (cutting out after warm-up)
>3-cracked dist cap
>4-2 bad plug wires 1 & 2
>4A- all of the above
>
>5-As Bob K says above
>6-As Bud says above
>
>Remember 95 % of "ALL" carb problems are electrical. "FT"

I would have to 99.9% agree with Fred. If your floats were plugged they
would be plugged when the engine was cold. Go straight to the
ignition/electrical. Start with the coil, connections, and never forget
the dist cap. Check that little wire that goes from the coil connection
on the back of the distributor to the points. I never had a condenser go
bad but you never know. There is also a ground wire in the distributor,
make sure it is in good condition. This might sound stupid, but are your
engine ground straps grounded to the chasis correctly? Are the points
set correctly and is the cam lubed? With me in over 35 years of Triumph
ownership, it was always something related to the spark, not the
carburators or fuel delivery. But there is always that .1 % lurking.....

Bob Labuz

1958 TR3A
1974 T140V
1998 T-Bird