RE: Positive Ground Car Stereo

To: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: RE: Positive Ground Car Stereo
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 08:58:22 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h97D08F8009098
Message text written by "Randall Young"
>> P.S. back about 1971 when I had my 65 MG (positive ground) I mounted my
> negative ground radio to a piece of masonite.  It worked well except that
> the discontinuity of the antenna shield (you can't just plug it in our
you
> short it all out) destroyed any semblance of the tuned circuit it was
> supposed to be and reception was poor.

Gee, weren't capacitors invented back then ?  A nice 0.1 uf mica cap is
just
about a direct connection at RF frequencies, but an open circuit at DC ...
<

I think the other part of the problem was the slide mount.  Connecting the
antenna to the contact array didn't help either.  Once I converted to neg
ground I just plugged the antenna in direct.  I'm with Joe on this.
Convert to neg ground and get on with your life.  The only reason to stay
positive ground is for nostalgic purposes and in that case what are you
doing with a modern radio anyway?

Dave Massey
57 TR3 (positive ground with a switchable polarity AM radio I bought new
from J.C.Whitney in 1971 with internal speaker mounted on a genuine TR3
radio mount.  This is the radio that was in the dash of my MG whilst the
Heathkit FM Stereo receiver was mounted under the dash in the passenger
footwell.  I later loaned that receiver to my brother for use in a 50's
Ford project which he later sold with my radio in it)
and others.