RE: Positive Ground Car Stereo

To: "'Randall Young'" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Positive Ground Car Stereo
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 19:36:48 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net
[mailto:owner-triumphs@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Randall Young
Sent: Sunday, October 05, 2003 6:41 PM
To: 'Triumph List'

> The answer is "YES", there are other options.  However, none are in my
> opinion very good or reliable.

Joe, so what's your objection to the polarity converter (besides cost) ?

###################
Mostly cost but they are not as reliable as just switching polarity.
Then there is the problem of where to hide the ugly box!  I had that
problem on my daughter's 65 bug before I upgraded the system to 12 volt.
###################

>  You have to isolate the radio (or
> stereo) completely from the car's chassis.  Once you have done that
> successfully, you can run your wires directly to the battery positive
> and negative as required and run the speaker wires to the speakers
> (again ensuring that there is no grounding of the speaker coil to the
> chassis.
>
> Of course, you will not have the radio connected to the ignition
switch
> so you will have to be careful not to leave it on or you will run down
> the battery.

While I do NOT recommend what Joe is suggesting, there is no reason that
such a setup could not be controlled by the ignition switch.  The power
wires do not have to go directly to the battery, the car body and the
ignition switch will do fine.

However, note that all metal parts of the radio will become 'hot'
relative
to the car body, so anything metallic (conductive) that comes in contact
with the radio and the car can cause a short.  If it were an item of
jewelry
(say a lady's bracelet), the consequences could be unpleasant to say the
least.  Had a friend almost set fire to his MGA once, when the shield of
his
CB radio antenna lead managed to rub through against a sharp edge.

EXACTLY, and that is why I think the best alternative is to do it right
and switch over to Negative ground.  Besides, it is by far the easiest
and cheapest way to do it.  So what if it makes the car "not original".
Neither does the modern radio!

Joe