RE: Positive Ground Car Stereo

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Positive Ground Car Stereo
From: Scott Tilton <stilton@protoprod.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 08:27:30 -0400
When I got my first TR4 back in '86 . . . I was in the same scenario:
Positive ground car, wanted a stereo, and didn't know squat about
electricity.
(not that I'm a wiz now by any means)

I did buy a polarity converter at Radio Shack.  I don't remember it being
expensive.  I just remember that it made this awful  high pitched squeal /
whine all the time.
It was a black box . .about the size of a coke can.  I probably still have
it somewhere.

Other than the noise, it worked fine.   Well . . actually the first radio I
had in there . .a 50w unit . . whenever I'd hit the brakes, or turn on any
other electrical device on the car .. the radio would blink off for a
second.  Whether that was due to the converter or not . .I don't know.

I think a few years ago when this came up . . someone who is an electrical
wiz (Dave Massey maybe?)  told me that the noisy version I had was replaced
by a more modern, version.

There's my data point.

Scott Tilton