RE: Positive Ground Car Stereo

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Positive Ground Car Stereo
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 07:51:44 -0700
> I think a few years ago when this came up . . someone who is an electrical
> wiz (Dave Massey maybe?)  told me that the noisy version I had
> was replaced by a more modern, version.

While that's true (the newer ones run at a much higher frequency, far beyond
human hearing or the ability of your speakers to reproduce); the squeal (and
probably the cutout) could also have been cured by adding some filtering
between the converter and the radio.  RS would have sold you a filter under
the name "Alternator noise suppressor" since alternators tend to make a
similar noise.

OEMs tend to use as little filtering as possible, because it costs money,
but the aftermarket seems to have learned it's value.  I saw a variety of
capacitors (a type of filter) being sold at Best Buy in the car audio
section, a few days ago.

Randall