RE: How stuff works --> Differentials

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: How stuff works --> Differentials
From: Nicholas Froome <listreader@pvision.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:03:53 +0000
> > >Also BTW, a good junk yard test for a car with a limited slip diff is to
>> >turn one drive wheel by hand.  If the other wheel turns the same
>> direction,
>> >it has a limited slip.
>>
>> Unless it's a Quaife diff. They don't do this
>
>That's interesting, Nick, I didn't know that.  Seems like that would mean
>that it would not provide torque to the stopped wheel if the other wheel
>were completely unloaded ?

That's exactly what I believe happens with them. If your inside wheel lifts
there's not enough torque to bias the diff and it spins power away. I didn't
realise this till recently

It's fairly well-known that the Quaife is "Scrutineer Proof" in that when
jacking the car and rotating one wheel it acts like there's no diff. But this
knowledge is not based, AFAIK, on evidence of chating in this respect. Though I
am sure that happens too...

>Looking at the diagram at
>http://www.roadraceengineering.com/quaife.htm
>seems like the center spring would provide enough drag between the shafts to
>make them turn the same direction ?

Maybe so. But the jackup test (which I haven't done myself) my seem to disprove
this

Nick Froome
http://www.bolide.co.uk