RE: How stuff works --> Differentials

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: How stuff works --> Differentials
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 21:06:17 -0500
On 30 Oct 2003 at 8:45, scotts junk wrote:

> I don't think the torque reaction dissappears on an IRS setup, just
> takes a different route - transferred from diff to frame and through
> the springs to the wheels.

As DM mentioned, there is some chassis flex which would transfer some
weight from one diagonal to the other.  But that wouldn't be nearly
as much as the solid axle effect.  With a solid axle, when you put a
torque on the diff, the axle and therefore the wheels counter it.
You are literally torquing the axle assembly on a longitudinal axis.
The reason it doesn't apply to IRS is that the diff is supported by
the chassis, so if you put a torque on the diff, the chassis counters
it.  There is no downforce or upforce on the wheels as a result of
driveshaft torque, only what the chassis provides via the springs.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com