Re: Knockoff Hammer

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Knockoff Hammer
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 17:35:00 -0700
Terry wrote:

>So what do you all do with yours?  I'm wondering if maybe the best thing isn't
>just to buy a cheap hard rubber hammer.

I don't that would be heavy enough not to mention it might want to
bounce a bit.  I use a 3 lb dead blow hammer to hit a piece of 2x2 pine
about a foot long.  The dead blow prevents the hammer from rebounding
into body work.  The pine is soft enough to cause no damage to the
chrome.  The pine will eventually split though it can last awhile if you
make contact (with the ear) near the center of the end of the pine.  I
think the key is to use a series of taps... not try to loosen the nut in
one or two strong blows.

BTW, not much whacking involved in tightening it... just enough to
assure the wheel is truly home on the spindle.  The nut is essentially
self-tightening thru the flexing and rotation of the wheel.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A
64 TR4
Mt Lemmon, AZ