Re: Knockoff Hammer

To: Terry <terryrs@adelphia.net>, Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Knockoff Hammer
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 17:35:52 -0700
Terry, I have a '62 TR4 with 41 year old knock-offs.  I whack the
knock-offs with my copper "Thor" hammer till the wheels are on really
tight.  The ears are dinged a little as if this had been done for the
last 41 years, but the copper does a great job of taking the real
beating.  I'm sure lead would work, but I'd be afraid a rubber hammer
wouldn't tighten the knock-offs enough, and a lost wheel can really
damage your chrome.

But you're not alone in worrying about it -- the guys at the tire shop
that put on my Vredestein Snow+ studded tires this week were afraid to
use Thor even though I left him on the seat for them.  They used their
own rubber mallet, and I tightened them at home that evening.  And it's
not just you and the tire shop guys; I think Moss and others carry a
wooden "wrench" that fits over the knock-offs so you don't risk the
chrome.  You ought to get one of those or make one out of plywood
yourself.  Or get a lead or copper hammer and start building a patina
for the next 45 years.

Steven Newell
'62 TR4