Re: Knockoff Hammer

To: terryrs@adelphia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Knockoff Hammer
From: MotoPsyche@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 20:05:04 EST
So what do you all do with yours?  I'm wondering if maybe the best thing isn't
just to buy a cheap hard rubber hammer.
Terry,

Last month I put those questions to the folks who make my wheels, Dayton.  I
asked them:  What's the best way to keep them pristine? What's the right
hammer to use? How much is "enough" when knocking them on?

In a series of emails, Mike of Dayton advised the following:  "The caps
should bottom-out on the hub when they are tight. Use a lead hammer. The lead
is
much softer than steel & it dents instead of the cap."

I asked Mike what he meant by "bottom-out".  He replied:  "Bottom-out means
that the cap stops against the nose of the hub before being completely
threaded."

Regarding the definitive whacker/hammer to use, Mike simply sez: "Lead is
best." Even after I asked about cowhide and copper.

I asked Mike if that meant one should continue hitting the knock-off until it
refuses to move any further?   He repied:  "Continue hitting the knock-off
until it refuses to move any further."

There you go.

Bill Stagg
1961 TR3A