RE: Knockoff Hammer

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Knockoff Hammer
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 17:00:41 -0800
> But with two-eared knockoffs, I
> imagine one just whacks on the ear to loosen it, and whacks on
> the opposite
> ear to tighten it.

That's right.

>  But this seems likely to damage the chrome.

*If* you use the right hammer, and *if* they aren't too tight, the damage is
minimal.  Doesn't really hurt the chrome at all, but the metal underneath
tends to mushroom just a bit.

> So what do you all do with yours?

My Stag has safety (wrench-style) knockoffs, apparently as original.   Joe
already mentioned the wooden wrench, which you can make yourself with a
jigsaw (or similar) and some stout plywood.

>  I'm wondering if maybe the
> best thing isn't
> just to buy a cheap hard rubber hammer.

Nope, the hammer face needs to be harder than that.  A rubber hammer will
just bounce off, and even rawhide doesn't work very well from what I've
seen.  Lead is OK, so is soft brass.  Of course, with either one, the hammer
face also becomes beat up over time.

Randall