RE: TR3 reverse shift forks

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 reverse shift forks
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 07:23:09 -0800
> The detents positions are the same on the 1st-2nd and 3rd-4th
> early and late
> rods, but the detent positions on the reverse rods are
> different...along with
> the forks.

If it's really a 4-synchro cover, then the 1-2 rod is not quite identical
either.  The detent notch for 1st gear is slightly farther away from the
neutral detent on the 3-synchro box.  Of course, it's always possible
someone has assembled the cover with mixed parts in the past ...

> All of the early rods have a shallow keyslot cut into the shaft
> opposite the
> shift lever socket. This keyslot runs in from the end of the
> shaft about 3"
> and is only .045" or so deep. These don't appear on the later
> rods....do you
> know what the keyslots are for.....oil galleries?

That's the only thing I can figure ... the slots were intended to catch oil
and direct it into the bores at the front.  Certainly don't seem to be
critical, as you've noted the later rods don't have them.

> The 3rd-4th rod from the early box is worn around the interlocking ball
> sockets and I'd like to replace it with the rod from the later
> box (same detents, no keyslot).

Should be fine, the 3-4 rod (and fork) interchanges.  Be sure to disassemble
the fork from the shaft while you've still got time to buy parts, the later
taper pins frequently break when you try to remove them.  Heating them with
a propane torch, enough to smoke but not enough to discolor the metal, may
help.

Randall