Re: Minilite clones - any experience or recommendations?

To: Graham Stretch <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Subject: Re: Minilite clones - any experience or recommendations?
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 04:39:45 -0700
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Graham Stretch wrote:

> Hi Larry
> I believe it to be the wheels due to the fact that I have three cars all
> equipped with these tyres, (Goodyear Eagle Venturas). One is wearing Stag
> Alloys, these locate with close fitting shouldered nuts, which balanced
> nicely, One is wearing 13" Minators which use tapered seat nuts giving good
> repeatability of location, the last is wearing 15" Minators which locate
> with not so close fitting shouldered nuts, they balance well on the machine,
> and when I have returned to the fitters and had them checked they are still
> in balance. I don't know if it is the hole in the middle is not concentric
> to the stud holes, or what? I tried to get them to balance them off the
> studs but they could not find the bolt to hold the adaptor to the machine,
> so were unable to do this for me. I still think the problem is mainly the
> clearance of the nuts in the holes!

I have a set of the Minators on the GT6, and I have one wheel, after
considerable attempts at balancing, has one front
wheel which has a slight hop in it. I think it's due to the machining of the
center face, rather than the stud/stud nut
alignment. I'd swap it out for a rear, but, dummy that I am, I put 185/70s on
the rear and 175/70s on the front. I'm
convinced, after much static and spin balancing, that it's a wobble that's
causing the problem. May not be the problem
of all with such wheels, but....

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance.