Minilite clones - any experience or recommendations?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net> hBRKtLom027312
Subject: Minilite clones - any experience or recommendations?
From: "Dean Mericas" <dmericas@limno.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 15:53:51 -0500
I've finally decided to get a set of new wheels for the TR4, and am looking
at the various Minilite clones that are on the market.  The car is used for
spirited street driving only.  The alternatives that I've found so far by
sraching on the web are:

Minilite - the original, and pricey.

Panasport - seems to be the defacto standard mag wheel on LBCs in the US, so
everybody and their brother has them.   I assume this is the wheel that Moss
carries.  They require a special lug nut that Moss wants $6 each for, but is
available elsewhere for a lot less.

KN - The least expensive of the lot, and I gather this is what Vicky Brit
and other parts houses are selling as Minilite clones.  The KN wheels I've
seen in photos look a bit unrefined., but it could just be bad photography.

Compomotive - Highly regarded overseas among the rally set.  Revington uses
them on their Italia repop.  Never seen one on a US car.  The styling seems
a little modern to my eye.  About the same price as Panasports.

Superlite - These also seem highly regarded oversees, and they claim to be
OEM for Minis.  Priced a bit below the Panasports.

Joe Curry also told me about some AR Silverstone clones, but I haven't been
able to track down a source.

Can anyone in the group provide first-hand comments, comparisons, or
recommendations on these choices?

Thanks.

Dean Mericas
1965 TR4
1974 2000 GTV (original magnesium wheels)