RE: New TR6 Owner

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: New TR6 Owner
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:22:36 -0800
> Now the
> fun begins and I'm considering the following and advice or suggestions
> would be appreciated since I am not familiar with TR6's and I'm trying
> to avoid any mistakes or pitfalls. I read through How to improve your
> TR6 and How to restore your TR6 and I'm considering the following.

Just to be clear, most people do not consider it a "restoration" if you are
making substantial modifications as well.  Don't mean to start a flame-fest
... as I always say it's your car, it should please you ... but it can't be
both "restored" and "modified" (unless of course you're restoring it to some
previous state of modification, like a race car).

> -          Conversion to SU Carbs, the Stroms need a rebuild and from
> what I've been able to gather the SU are an easy bolt on conversion
> that's easier to maintain.

I wouldn't convert just on that basis, the conversion isn't quite as simple
as it sounds and the Stroms are little, if any, harder to maintain than the
SUs.  The main improvement is because people generally use pre-emissions
SUs, which of course means you'll have to rework the rest of the emissions
control systems ... and be in violation of Federal law if you live in the
US.

> -          Any other recommended mandatory upgrades or suggestions for
> new a TR6 owner just getting started are welcomed.

There are several fairly well-known weak points, like the mounting for the
differential, that you should probably consider reinforcing now, before they
break.  But since I've never owned a TR6, I'll let others comment on the
details.

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver (back on the road, WooHoo!)
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver wannabe (waiting for OD transplant)
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project
57 TR3 TS21731L rusting quietly