New TR6 Owner

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: New TR6 Owner
From: <jollycj@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:22:48 -0800
Cc: <jollycj@pacbell.net>
I'm the proud new owner of a new 1970 TR6 that needs to be restored.
Not knowing much about Triumphs I'm looking for some suggestions or
advice as I embark on this project.  I've already replaced quite a few
things to get the car up and running, fuel pump, points, hoses, fuel
lines, thermostat etc.. the basics to get it running since it was not
when I purchased it.  I took it to a local Triumph mechanic to have it
checked out and ended up having some additional work done, repack
bearings, timing, front brakes, slave and a few other minor things.
Overall it checked out ok and the engine compression was good.  Now the
fun begins and I'm considering the following and advice or suggestions
would be appreciated since I am not familiar with TR6's and I'm trying
to avoid any mistakes or pitfalls. I read through How to improve your
TR6 and How to restore your TR6 and I'm considering the following.

-          Conversion to SU Carbs, the Stroms need a rebuild and from
what I've been able to gather the SU are an easy bolt on conversion
that's easier to maintain.

-          Rear Tube Shock Conversion - The levers need a rebuild so I'm
considering just converting now but not sure what brackets are the best
as well as shock and springs any experience from people who have done
this would be great.

-          New Interior - The interior needs to be fully replaced and
I've been looking at kits from Prestige Auto Trim as well as Moss, VB,
TRF.  I just want to make sure I get something that is decent.  I am
looking for a new dash as well and the one TRF lists in the winter
catalog seems to be quite nice for the money.  I am not trying to
restore to show condition just for my driving pleasure. Here is the link
to Prestige in case you haven't seen the kit.
http://www.prestigeautotrim.com/usa/usa/trim_package/tr6_package.htm

-          The commission plate has been removed, this was done by the
California DMV according the previous owner and the body tags are gone
as well.  I have the engine number, Gearbox number, and rear axle
number.  Is there anyway for me to find out the original VIN for the
car.

-          Any other recommended mandatory upgrades or suggestions for
new a TR6 owner just getting started are welcomed.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions, sorry about so many
questions. Just trying to figure this all with out spending anymore
money then have to cause of newbie mistakes.

Chris Jolly

1970 TR6