RE: New TR6 Owner

Subject: RE: New TR6 Owner
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:00:31 -0800
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Just one question from one who does not live in California:
>
> Why would the DMV remove the commision plates?  (for reasons
> other than the
> car has been scrapped, I mean?)

I suspect all the reasons fall under the category of 'scrapped', but it
means something somewhat different to CA DMV than it might to you.  In
effect, anything that disrupts the continuity of the original title causes
the car to be "recommissioned" ... this can include claiming that you've
assembled the car from parts (ie put in a different engine than original)
which is sometimes a convenient way to get a title for an 'orphan' car.  Car
'parts' can be sold with only a bill of sale; while 'cars' have to have a
title.

I believe other states have similar laws, for example my Dad's TR3A was
recommissioned by the state of Indiana, the original plate was removed and a
very crude steel plate with a MVINxxxxxxxx type number put in it's place.

Randall