Re: New TR6 Owner

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New TR6 Owner
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 10:01:29 -0500
In a message dated 1/12/2004 12:22:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jollycj@pacbell.net writes:

> I'm the proud new owner of a new 1970 TR6 that needs to be restored....

Congratulations!

> Not knowing much about Triumphs I'm looking for some suggestions or
> advice as I embark on this project....

Well, this list is as good a place to start as any. I'm far from a TR6
expert, but I would offer some "generic" observations and suggestions.

> ...I'm considering the following....
>
> -          Conversion to SU Carbs, the Stroms need a rebuild and from
> what I've been able to gather the SU are an easy bolt on conversion
> that's easier to maintain.

Certainly doable, and (arguably) SUs have their advantages over
Strombergs. Keep in mind, though, that you already have a set of
Strombergs, and odds are that they might not need as much as you
think. It might be worth getting the Strombergs working
first. Consider that you have to find the SUs to replace the
Strombergs, and chances are that the SUs you find will need some
attention as well. That, or you'll be laying out big wads of cash for
brand-new SUs.

> -          Rear Tube Shock Conversion - The levers need a rebuild so I'm
> considering just converting now but not sure what brackets are the best
> as well as shock and springs any experience from people who have done
> this would be great.

I offer a similar suggestion here: consider having the lever shocks
rebuilt first, and explore "upgrade" possibilities later on. Again,
it's possible that the lever shocks need little more than topping off,
but even a rebuild will cost you far less than a top-quality tube
shock conversion kit.

> -          New Interior - The interior needs to be fully replaced and
> I've been looking at kits from Prestige Auto Trim as well as Moss, VB,
> TRF.  I just want to make sure I get something that is decent.  I am
> looking for a new dash as well and the one TRF lists in the winter
> catalog seems to be quite nice for the money.

I'll leave more specific advice on this topic to others. If you're not
terribly concerned with "concours" appearance or originality, you
probably can let price be THE determining factor. Certainly, if
various vinyl bits are badly stained, ripped or otherwise
unsalvageable, replace. Once again, though, here's an area you might
not want to rush into. Two reasons:

1. Lots and lots of money can be spent here...money that won't help
the car run any better.

2. On the other hand, this is where "you" spend a lot of time with the
car. Sure, others see the outside a lot, but you have to sit inside
and be relatively comfortable while driving the car.

>  -          The commission plate has been removed, this was done by the
> California DMV according the previous owner and the body tags are gone
> as well.  I have the engine number, Gearbox number, and rear axle
> number.  Is there anyway for me to find out the original VIN for the
> car.

I suspect the odds could be against you here. Yes, you can obtain a
build certificate from the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust based
on engine number (costs a bit more than tracing the records through
the commission number). Likely you will get back information on "a"
commission number. However, after 34 years and ?????? miles and at
least one "identity crisis" for the car, it's very likely that the
engine you now have isn't the one that came in the car
originally. Yes, if the engine, gearbox and axle numbers all agree on
the build record, there's a pretty good chance that you've got a
legitimate match. But without either commission or body number tags,
it's all a bit of a crapshoot!

If California is happy with whatever paperwork is with the car and
whatever number they've assigned to it and (hopefully) placed on the
car, this is a can of worms best left unopened. ;-)

--Andy Mace